Pages

Sunday 5 August 2012

Life | Lessons learnt at university

Let me give you a bit of background on myself to put this little tale into context... I am originally from the Wirral which, because no one ever knows where it is except if your from the Wirral, is basically just outside of Liverpool so practically everyone whose from the Wirral tries to blag and say they're from Liverpool when they're blatantly not because their wheelie bin is green and not the snazzy purple that Liverpool get to have. Anyway, so I'm from the Wirral and desperately wanted to go to London for university, it literally felt like my lives goal to get to go to university in London. I was absolutely desperate so much so that when every decent university said a very polite 'no thank you' to me and then promptly closed their doors I decided that I was so desperate to get down there that I would go to any London university that would take me no matter how bad it was. And do that I did.

I ended up accepting a place at London Metropolitan. Now I don't want to sound all big headed here, I can assure you that my head can fit through doors and all that jazz, but I felt from the minute I arrived at  that god forsaken place that it just wasn't for me. I almost felt like I could do better (I realise that this isn’t doing all that much good for my promising I don’t think I'm the best thing since toast but I promise I really don’t have a ginormous head.) Anyway, I decided to stick with it and just get my head down and do a bit of studying because after all is that not what university is all about? Just realised I haven’t even told you what my degree was meant to be! I was studying 'Fashion Marketing and Retail Management' and I don't know about you but I felt like that sounded kinda fancy! It was only when you put the “at London Met” after it that strangers you met in clubs would say “oh” in a rather pitying tone. It should have been then that I realised that London Metropolitan was most definitely not the place for me. Lesson number one; don’t settle for a blatantly rubbish university just because its in a good city and you couldn't get in anywhere else because you wrote the most boring personal statement known to man.

So, I don’t know about you and maybe it was just me being a very naïve, young child at the ripe old age of eighteen but when I decided to study fashion I naturally assumed that I would indeed be studying fashion and the business behind it. Instead I found myself in lectures that could have been from a maths degree with spreadsheets galore and whole afternoons dedicated to learning how to use Microsoft excel. Another module I suffered through was known as operations management in which we learnt the seven types of waste, don’t ask me to recite them now I'm pretty sure by that point I was heavily into a game of tiny tower on my phone or some other equally as important pursuit. The only decent modules I did on that course were the fashion system and retail environment. Note they both have the name of the degree in the name of the module, no where do I remember agreeing to do a quantitative analysis and operations management degree. Lesson number two; research your degree and its modules extensively before signing on the dotted line, trust me that extra half an hour reading the module outline will save you a year of wondering why you ever took a course that wants you to know the seven types of waste.

Also, I just want to dispel a myth here, an urban legend if you will, like the loch ness monster or big foot. Before you go to university everyone will be trying to reassure you about the whole making friends thing saying that everyone is in the same boat and people will come up to you and just start talking. Lies. Absolute lies. It seems that at least on my course, at my university, everyone was told that exact same lie and so precisely no one went over to people to start a conversation. In fact before our first lecture we all just stood there awkwardly like a bunch of very awkward lemons in absolute dead silence. No joke, you could of heard a pin drop in that dingy little corridor that we had to wait in while the class before us finished. Awful. Absolutely awful. It wasn’t until we were put into partner work that the cloud of silence was lifted and awkward get to know you icebreaker like conversation ensued, incidentally I don’t remember a single one of the fun facts I was told about the people in my class but at least it broke the silence. Lesson number three; just be a man and talk to someone, it can't be as painful as having to wait for a half an hour for your lecture in dead silence because the class ahead of you are late leaving, trust me.

On the subject of choosing universities I would definitely advise to go for one that isn’t, I kid you not, last on the league tables. Now I'm not a university snob by any means, I'm a firm believer in that if you work hard then you can achieve your full potential anywhere. Well, that was until I experienced London Met. Just put it this way, no university that people are actually proud to go to has to advertise the fact that they’re 'proud to be London Met' on every available wall space. You would not walk into Cambridge and see 'proud to be Cambridge' plastered all over the walls now would you? In case you didn’t know the answer is no because everyone and their pet hamster knows that if you go to Cambridge then your proud to be there! Lesson number four; don’t choose a university that has to try and kid you into a false sense of morale and proudness, if your proud your proud, if your London Metropolitan, you're not.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...