Pages

Sunday 12 August 2012

Life | Room decoration


I truly believe that the little things you do in a room can make or break a space in terms of decoration. I discovered this after many a conversation with my sister as to why her room always felt nice and very personal to her and mine never did. My sister has a sort of god given gift for interior design. Every room she has had has always been such a lovely space! You could go into any of them and know immediately that it's her room. It has always been my ultimate goal (in terms of room decoration that is), to harness some of this insane power and make it my own.

I finally think that I have in someway achieved this with my room at my mum's house where I used to live before I moved down to London for university. The wall with my bed is by far my favourite in the room. I spent a good few hours cutting out pictures from magazines, some of my favourite picture source magazines include; Clash, Pigeons & Peacocks, the Urban Outfitters catalogue and Nylon. If your not a bit ridiculous like me (I refuse to cut up hardback A4 magazines) then I would also recommend Love, Pop, Dazed and Confused, Vogue and iD, oh and Notion. Side note – if your ever around the Barbican area of London, which I am quite a lot, then get yourself down to the market on Leather Lane, you can pick up magazines like these there for practically nothing. A key thing to take note of when selecting your pictures is another little gem of wisdom from my sister; 'don’t worry about if they all go together or if they all go along the same theme, if you like them all then it will look good'. I follow this when I'm cutting out my pictures and it seems to have worked for me! Oh, and I generally find that smaller pictures look better in a collage, don’t ask me why, they just do.

Back from that slightly related tangent I then stuck them all up on my wall with blue tack. I really love how the wall looks now because not only is it so much better than what I used to have up there which was a load of fashion adverts and editorials that I had cut out of old issues of Elle magazine, once again I refuse to cut up my sizeable collection of Vogues, but it reflects what I like and my personality a lot more now. Also on the same wall I have some of my shoe collection stored in a little shelving unit that I think we got form Ikea ages ago (it used to be my sisters so forgive me if I'm wrong). Again, I believe that you should have things that you like on display in your room so as shallow as it sounds, I like shoes, so I'm going to display my shoes proudly for all to see. (shoe collection to come soon).

In terms of my bed, I love it! I got it for my eighteenth birthday from my mum, I think she got it from Dreams, which is a bed shop here in England. For as long as I can remember I have wanted a metal day bed type of bed and I finally got one! I love how girly it looks as I'm not a very girly girl at all and so I think it gives a nice contrast to everything else that I've got. My bedding is pretty average, I like the whole red, white and blue theme that I have going on because I have a lot of union jack things in my room and so having my bedding be in this colour scheme ties my room together quite nicely I think.

How do you decorate you room? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. When I was still residing in my parents' home in lafayette indiana apartments, I decorated my room with different polaroid shots.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...